This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can have access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Notice of Stowell Associates Inc. Privacy Practices
Protecting Your Information
Stowell Associates carefully protects the healthcare information of our clients and employees. We may use your protected health information to provide treatment to you, obtain payment for your care and conduct our health care operations. Since 1983 our agency has followed established policies to guard against unnecessary disclosure of your health information. We fully comply with the privacy guidelines as defined in HIPAA/HITECH (Privacy Rule of the Administration Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act of 2009, and HIPAA/HITECH Omnibus Final Rules Implementation, January 2013)
Sharing Your Information
The following is a summary of the circumstances and purposes under which your health information may be used and disclosed:
- To Provide Treatment- We may use your health information to provide care to you and disclose information to others who provide care to you. For example, physicians involved in your care may need information about your symptoms from our staff. Others involved in your care may include family members, pharmacists, home health agencies, an eldercare facility staff member, medical equipment suppliers, and other health care professionals.
- To Obtain Payment- Our agency handles all invoicing and payment functions internally. Our standard practice is not to collect payments from third parties. However, if you have long term care insurance, we may need to obtain or share information with this health insurer.
- To Conduct Health Care Operations- We may use and disclose health information to facilitate our agency’s operations, such as training our caregivers or auditing files for quality assurance. We will not use your health information for any marketing or fundraising activities.
- We will also disclose your health information when it is required by law.
Stowell Associates will obtain a written authorization from you to disclose your protected healthcare information for any other reason not related to the above conditions. You or your personal representative may revoke that authorization at any time. In addition to authorizing the release of information, you or your personal representative have these additional rights:
- Right to request restrictions on the disclosure of your protected health care information.
- Right to receive confidential communications.
- Right to inspect, amend, or copy protected healthcare information created by our agency.
- Right to an accounting of disclosures that you have authorized for a period of 7 years prior to the date of the request.
- Right to a paper copy of this notice and any revised privacy notices.
- Right to express a complaint to the Privacy Officer at our agency, to the Regional Manager of the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services, 233 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 240, Chicago, IL 60601, 800-368-1019, and/or Office of Quality Monitoring, The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Blvd., Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, 800-994-6610, email@example.com. We welcome all comments regarding our practices and services.
Effective March, 2014
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS PRIVACY NOTICE, CONTACT
Stowell Associates Inc. 4485 N. Oakland Avenue
414-963-2600 Milwaukee, WI 53211